Author Topic: trash everywhere!!!  (Read 4216 times)

w415346

• View Profile
trash everywhere!!!
« on: July 12, 2014, 04:12:33 PM »
I just moved to Bay Ridge on Ovington and 6th ave. THERE IS SO MUCH LITTER! EVERYWHERE! i read an NY Times article from 2011 where the trash receptacles were taken away to prevent litter. WELL....looks like it didnt work at all. Does anyone pick up litter in the area? I have put in a formal complaint with the city about it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 08:12:40 AM by bre »

tomdeb123

• View Profile
Re: trash everywhere!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 06:05:07 PM »
It  just doesn't make any sense. That is the reason why trash receptacles was there the first place. so people would have somewhere to throw that trash rather than on the street.hey rich it's a beautiful community so let's keep it that way

bre

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 05:13:27 PM »
Also makes a difference where you live. Some areas have more slobs than other areas. I've seen people, or should I say PIGS, toss paper on the ground while they're standing next to a trash can.

OftenCranky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 04:34:34 PM »
I agree with you.  It is depressing.  Third Avenue and Fifth Avenue are terrible.  Shopkeepers rarely sweep or clean up, people litter, the sanitation department lets things fall on the avenue and no one does anything about the mess.  The streets are hit or miss.  On my old street, people were obsessive about keeping the sidewalks and the street clean.  On my new street, not so much.  I think people just think it's a losing battle so they don't even bother.  It's sad because people keeping the sidewalk clean is actually pretty easy.  And yes, removing the trash cans is/was ridiculous.  You can't change human nature: people always take the path of least resistance and would never hold onto trash when they can just litter.  People littering the little bit of garden around the trees is gross, too.  I have seen people literally clean out all the trash from their cars (The Car, of course, being Bay Ridge's version of a house) and dump it onto people's sidewalk.  Get ready:  I'm here and I'm cranky! :-)

Cozina

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 10:42:19 PM »
I moved here from California and that was my biggest complaint. It seems like many people have 0 pride for their community/neighborhood. I often walk to all my errands and bring bags with me and as I pass random garbage between narrows and 3rd I make it a priority to clean up. I get stares and some people say, "ew that's garbage don't touch that!" I politely smile and say, "I don't like my neighborhood looking like a garbage can." It's so easy and by the time I get to 3rd I toss the bags in a trash receptacle. It's that simple! No matter where I am, I will always have a tissue handy and my eye peeled for garbage.

This truly is a beautiful neighborhood! It's the only place I'd settle down in, in NYC so lets do our best to set a positive example and clean up! I also think cops should start ticketing for littering. It worked wonders in California and it's helped keep the beaches much cleaner.

Is there anything else we can do as a community to get some help from the city for this issue?