Author Topic: Spitting  (Read 4593 times)

OftenCranky

• View Profile
Spitting
« on: August 15, 2014, 04:47:12 PM »
When I was a little boy, right here, in this very neighborhood, my mother always taught me: say "thank you," give up your seat for ladies and older people on the bus, and above all else: Don't Spit!  Where were everyone else's mothers?  Seriously, spitting on the street or subway tracks (or the "I'll spit in a trash can on the sidewalk because that's classier") is repulsive, aggressive and unnecessary, yet so enduringly popular in Bay Ridge. Is it just a bad habit?  If there is something that so needs to come out (which I highly doubt) use a Kleenex. I'm not a sociologist, so I'm curious as to the history of this disgusting habit.  Being a man, and mostly witnessing male spitters, I have to say it always strikes me as something of an act of aggression. For instance, if I'm walking on the street and another man is walking towards me in the opposite direction, he'll often sort of growl at me and spit to the side, as if to hint "don't mess with me, buddy!"  I'd really be much more impressed if he told me he reads two books a week or something.  So, if anyone can tell me why spitting is so popular in Bay Ridge, I would be immensely grateful.   ;)

bre

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Spitting
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 08:03:00 PM »
It's a filthy disgusting habit. Sometimes you have to but you should do it in the the street. I see people outside of restaurants and other businesses smoking and spitting right there on the sidewalk. You people that do this are filthy disgusting slobs. You're not alone Cranky.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 10:29:09 PM by bre »

Dougly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 11:53:14 PM »
Yeah, I agree. Especially the whole 'don't mess with me' routine. I mean seriously, grown men putting on that tough guy act - grow up already! It's not like BR is or ever was some rough neighborhood. People like that are obviously just insecure cowards who constantly feel they need to prove themselves. I guess for them that's a real tough thing to pull with someone who's way above that level and knows better than to resort to a confrontation. Maybe they should try walking around Brownsville or East NY and see how long they last with that attitude...

Cozina

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 10:27:02 PM »
I find it repulsive! I stare at these boys and older men who do it with a judgmental look of disapproval hoping they get the hint. My stomach tuns too when I am walking on the sidewalk and I see a bubbly blob of spit on the floor. I just don't get it! Oh my goodness and don't even get me started on people who smoke then toss their cigarettes in the street like it's the "cool" thing to do! I loath littering!

kittyk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 10:02:04 AM »
I absolutely agree that this practice is one of the most disgusting behaviors. For many years I worked near Chinatown where this was a common event. I remember always looking down at the ground (especially when I wore sandals)  I still use one of my doctors near Chinatown, and on my last visit we didn't feel like waiting for the elevator, so we took the stairs. On each landing was a posting written in English and Chinese...NO SPITTING...EWWWWW

George123

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 05:25:56 AM »
It was cool to spit when I grew up. I am guilty of it back in those days.
Stupid,like kids smoking outside of the schools. Part of city living.
 :D