Author Topic: Feral Cats & Rabies  (Read 2244 times)

OftenCranky

• View Profile
Feral Cats & Rabies
« on: August 24, 2014, 07:53:16 PM »
The whole feral cat situation is very unfortunate and people and organizations and local gov seem to have a whole bunch of different positions but no solutions. There are people who feed them. There are groups that trap, spay and euthanize them. There are people who try to adopt the kittens which gets kind of impossible by the time they are old enough to move quickly. Growing up here, I recall my mother took in a male semi-feral kitten at about 3 months old and he was always just a little bit mean and a biter, no joke. When I had my own house and backyard here the cats used to defacate and spray make me generally crazy in the backyard.  I finally bought something called the scarecrow which was a motion detection device you attach to your hose and it sprays a plume of water towards cats when they are in the yard and they soon choose the path of least resistance to hang out in. It was amazing and safe and cheap. But of course the cats just went elsewhere. Anyway, I tried at one time to convince our local pols that this was a potential public health issue but they were not buying it. Now, I read this and the possibility of rabies jumping from racoon to cat so people should be a little careful http://m.nydailynews.com/new-york/rabies-alert-brooklyn-article-1.1910888