Author Topic: Bigger/Additional Greenmarket  (Read 3549 times)

SMGBK

• View Profile
Bigger/Additional Greenmarket
« on: August 30, 2014, 10:56:59 PM »
I have been a long Bay Ridge East / Dyker border resident in the 60's. Although we're lucky to have the NYC Greenmarket extension in the "Walgreens" parking lot I feel as a big community we deserve a bigger and proper version similar to others. I had to go to an appointment near Grand Army Plaza and I walked through their Greenmarket, it was amazing. I thought in a neighborhood that starts in the 60's and goes to the bridge, and from the water extending east of the BQE, we should be able to support a wonderful market similar to the Grand Army Plaza market.  We have tons of little fruit and veg based stores around the neighborhood, but many carry end of life produce - we are not an end of life worthy community, we deserve better.   

I would love to see how we could have something similar in the entrance way of Owls Head Park. If you haven't been to this greenmarket it makes you quite envious. We deserve an abundance of great and fresh produce down here too.  I didn't take many pictures when I was there, but the pictures I did take captured so much color.  I don't know how to attach the pictures to this to share. I took picture of blindingly bright peppers, a focaccia from Boun Pane & Focaccia, Inc. that had extremely bright red tomatoes that were just perfectly ripe, mozzarella, basil and pesto.   I feel really strongly about this and I'm posting to see if I'm not alone on this interest.  We deserve fresh, awesome, and assessable to all chance at produce. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 08:02:10 PM by SMGBK »

OftenCranky

• View Profile
Re: Bigger/Additional Greenmarket
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 11:15:18 PM »
It's a great idea but I don't think there would be enough customers for it to thrive. I go into the bakery and people are saying stuff like '.50 cents for a cookie?? What??' People have no money and what they have they seem to put into their cars; their phones; their dogs. I don't think people got the memo about how excellent fruits and vegetables cost more (btw: I love your 'end of life produce' expression - so on target - I'm stealing it ;) The produce in C-Town and the small fruit stands is mostly disgusting, as is the meat. If I have to get decent fruit and meat I go to Bensonhurst to LaBella's and Leoni's and some of the old school places, or I order from Fresh Direct which has great quality. Quality food is important to me and even the better cuts of meat and produce costs less than takeout. I really love your idea, I just don't think it would work here. As far as the Walgreen's market, it was always sparsely populated. IMO: We just don't have the critical mass of people here who value quality to support such an endeavor.

SMGBK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 08:01:53 AM »
Thanks, I knew it was a long stretch going in. We have the population, but it's the desire we may be lacking here. Maybe the small percent who care can work on something.  It could be worse I guess, B'hursts newish Greenmarket isn't much at all, but it's an addition to what they have.

I was thinking about getting signatures of approval from the community who would be into an additional market location - Thinking about it again I think maybe McKinley Park would be a better option even for the exposure of being on the busy corner that it's on. Everything's a pipe dream at this point....

Good to know at least there's one other person out there who cares about the food they spend their money on and eat! Thanks!

Cozina

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 10:19:55 PM »
Hello, I agree with everything you are saying! We do deserve better and I feel we need to raise our standards. I am tired of people bashing on our beloved neighborhood and saying it pales in comparison to"trendy" neighborhoods. Bay Ridge is beautiful and deserves the best. I am more than happy to pay higher prices for quality.

SMGBK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 11:34:22 PM »
Thank you. And if you think about it, most of the prices may be comparable to grocery stores or fruit and veg stands. The big difference is paying the same for lesser quality based on convenience. It feels good giving your hard earned money to hard working farmers VS giving to Key Foods or Associated. I feel like people do care it's just easy to fall into the "It is what it is" state of mind.

I live on the border of Bay Ridge/Dyker, with enough signatures and with election season going on (Marty Golden) - I wonder if something could be added in McKinley Park. Not sure but worth a shot, I can only be told no without any loss.

SMGBK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 11:53:35 PM »
And they can bash us all they want for not bein "cool", "hip", and conveniently situated near near Manhattan. This is our neighborhood for good or bad - our bad qualities that others see are the ones we embrace, which is why we stay. It's a little more real in our parts of Brooklyn, which is something to embrace.  ;)