Author Topic: Local Crime  (Read 3017 times)

OftenCranky

• View Profile
Local Crime
« on: September 26, 2014, 10:18:48 AM »
So, the Zayle's on 86th street was hit early this morning, windows busted open.  That has not even hit the papers yet. A man parking his car at 6AM on Sunday on 82nd between 5th and 6th was assaulted and robbed: "On Sunday, September 21 around 6:05 a.m. a man who had just parked his car near Fifth Avenue and 82nd Street was allegedly pushed to the ground by two unknown men. According to cops, the perps then pushed the victim to the ground and began to punch and kick him. The perps then allegedly swiped the man’s wallet and his Samsung Galaxy Note 3 cell phone from his pocket and fled the scene." - Courtesy of Home Reporter.
Looks like it's back to open season on merchants and residents.  My question is, seriously, how big is the 68th precinct?  Seeing a cop on the street is like spotting a Unicorn - only that Unicorn is on line in Starbucks - and seeing a police cruiser patrolling the side streets is like spotting a Roman Chariot.  Not that that this is such a big deal in comparison, but I also cannot walk down a street without passing people smoking pot like cigarettes. I just don't understand what the big deal is about cops having more of a presence?

bre

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Local Crime
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 12:03:28 PM »
You're wrong about seeing police cars. I see them everyday at the bagel shops. They're on 5th Ave and 86th street parked on the corner waiting for drivers to make a left turn. I've seen them ticketing UPS trucks for illegal parking to deliver packages. Everyone knows that UPS has a deal with the city no matter how many tickets they get so the ticket is just a waste of time but counts to their quota.

I don't know how many cars are in the 68 precinct but they sure are scarce. People blow through red lights, stops signs and speed down side streets. It's just a matter of time before someone gets killed. I see them leaving the bagels stores but don't know where they go then. Very rare to see them patrolling the neighborhood.