Author Topic: parking in a residential area  (Read 2543 times)

janea9

• View Profile
parking in a residential area
« on: May 27, 2015, 06:19:10 PM »
Upon finding parking approximately 7 blocks from my apartment (79th bet ridge and colonial) I was told by a homeowner to move my car back so as to deter another person from parking behind me.  The homeowner stated that if I leave enough room for another car to park, they will block his driveway.  To this I asked, "so is this why I'm stuck parking 7 blocks from where I live, because everyone is doing that?"  He just repeated that he didn't want his driveway blocked.  FYI, he had gotten out of his car, which was parked on the street and gone into the house with an empty driveway.  How selfish and self absorbed can folks get?  Seriously, you have a house and garage and a driveway.  WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?  Sadly, this is basically how I've found it to be in Bay Ridge...selfish homeowners who think they own the street in front of their property. 

George123

• View Profile
Re: parking in a residential area
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 05:19:23 AM »
Upon finding parking approximately 7 blocks from my apartment (79th bet ridge and colonial) I was told by a homeowner to move my car back so as to deter another person from parking behind me.  The homeowner stated that if I leave enough room for another car to park, they will block his driveway.  To this I asked, "so is this why I'm stuck parking 7 blocks from where I live, because everyone is doing that?"  He just repeated that he didn't want his driveway blocked.  FYI, he had gotten out of his car, which was parked on the street and gone into the house with an empty driveway.  How selfish and self absorbed can folks get?  Seriously, you have a house and garage and a driveway.  WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?  Sadly, this is basically how I've found it to be in Bay Ridge...selfish homeowners who think they own the street in front of their property.
This has never happened to me .
This guy has nothing better to do .I would ignore it. Parking is a huge problem here along sidestreets off shore road.
Live with it  :)

mtc49

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 11:43:39 AM »
i have a question about parking rules in a residential area.  I have a neighbor, on the 400 block of 82nd Street, who has a large closed truck.  It is much larger than a minivan.  He has a retail business and keeps merchandise in his home garage.  He uses the truck to transport the merchandise.  The truck has a driver and passenger seat and no other seats.  He does not have a commercial plate.  He parks this truck on the residential block with impunity. 
The truck is an eyesore and frequently overhangs driveways.  I was under the impression that the police can enforce the commercial parking rules for the vehicle if it is apparent that the vehicle is being used for commercial purposes.  I don't want to be a cranky neighbor but this is every night. Any insight as to what the rules are?

We also have another neighbor who parks her car in the fire hydrant every night.  An occasional ticket is issued.
I know parking is scarce but these infractions do impact the quality of life.

dee_k

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 04:14:19 PM »
RE the truck/commercial parking...I have no knowledge of that...However, I can personally relate to the second part of your reply...there was ALWAYS a car parked at the fire hydrant across the street from me and with any vehicle at that space, I cannot get out of my driveway, which is directly across from the hydrant.  The car that was constantly there (I've moved last month) hardly ever got a ticket and when it was ticketed, the car was STILL at that "space"  It turned out that the owner of the car worked for DOT and was able to squash all her tickets!!!  THAT IS TOTALLY RIDICULOUS!!!  A parking law/regulation should be for ALL!!!  Especially when it comes to the possibility that the fire hydrant might need to be used by FDNY to save a life/lives or someone's property!!!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 04:19:10 PM by dee_k »

Surachat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 10:25:37 PM »
We are very careful. The community is not alone.