Author Topic: Someone must know some of my teen friends 1952-58  (Read 8950 times)

denman

• View Profile
Someone must know some of my teen friends 1952-58
« on: April 06, 2014, 10:00:56 PM »
Most lived between 100th st and 90th st , went to PS104 or St. Pat's. and would be about my age, 72. I lived on 99th st near 4th ave, went to 104 then to Brooklyn Tech. I had 2 brothers, Ed (Chuck) now 75, Tom, died ~ 26 years ago, would be 69 now. A few names, Tom McMennam (sp?), last heard he was a motorcycle cop out of Flatbush Ave, lived on Marine Ave, near 3rd.
John Swanson, also Marine Ave, near Fort Hamilton Pky. Carol Ritter, also Marine Ave, big apt house on 4th ave. Bill Calhoun, 99th st, next door to me, heard he was a NYPD Capt. in Staten Island. Many more, but I will start here.
Dennis Costello

LoveBayRidge

• View Profile
Re: Someone must know some of my teen friends 1952-58
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 07:49:35 PM »
My Mom grew up around 92nd and 4th in the apt.bldg below...
Always loved this area,use to be a candy store/luncheonette soda shop on the corner.

Family name "Thomas"...

hburger70

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 07:29:59 AM »
Know the area well. I lived in the apartment across the street,the Melba, from 1942 until i got married in 1963. We had great times on that block. Hung out in the Candy store you described and played ball against the side wall. Knew all the different owners of that store starting with Myers and his wife. the last owner I recall was someone named Tom. I went to St Patricks grammer school on 95th St.

LoveBayRidge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 11:12:55 PM »
You must have known Thomas's (Barbara ,Pat, Lorraine) growing up.

tomlynch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 10:31:32 PM »
Just found this site again after many years away.
Lived on 88th st and Gelston ave from 1944 til 1952.
went to St Pats til 1948 and Bklyn Prep til 1952.
Had a Bklyn Eagle route with 100 papers at 10 years old.
The paper cost a quarter a wk and my cut was 7 cents The tip was usually 5 or 10 cents.
Collection was Friday night. I remember one customer,who was a New York police detective, very vividly because he was my biggest tipper. When he came to the door each week my heart would jump.He looked like Richard Conti with dress white shirt , dark vest and pants.
He gave me a whole quarter!! tip. Each week, he handed me two quarters.
That was 70 years ago and I long forgot his name but not him. Retired to Arizona in 1976 from the US Marine Corps
If you want to be remembered in this world,  do something to make some ones heart jump, like that NYPD detective
Great Site

denman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 12:47:30 PM »
I also had a Brooklyn Eagle route, probably at age 12 (1953 ?) with also about 100 papers. On Sunday the paper was as big as the Sunday NY Times today. I would have to return to the pickup area (93 st and 3rd Ave) at least 4 times to re-fill my bike. My route was 99th to Shore Rd, from 3rd Ave to Fort Hamilton Parkway.  Loved the job!
Dennis

tomlynch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 02:46:48 PM »
Sounds like the same route
Hartman's was on there. The bartender would give me a small glass of coke on collection day.
I remember that Parrott Place was a tough street to find. On Sunday morning, I would go down at 4:30am to insert the funnies into the main section All for 7 cents per paper. Wow!!! In 1953 ,I was in Niagara U where I met my wife in 1956.Brooklyn was a great place to grow up though. By the way, I have a map of Bay Ridge and Fort Hamilton in 1870.Very interesting. Bre should have it but I'll have to figure out how to get it to her. Its a scroll two ft by three ft rolled up. I'll give it some thought. It was a gift from Paul Johnson who went to Fort Hamilton High School.

denman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 10:28:55 AM »
My wife lived on Parrot Place, a few houses off 88th street. We married in 1962 at St. Pats. and have 5 children and 2 grandchildren with a 3rd coming this summer. We live in Long Island in the same home we bought 50 years ago.
Dennis

tomlynch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 12:00:10 PM »
I answered your post on the 22nd and it didn't record.
The street I found hard to find was off 101st street. I was mistaken about Parrot Place
We moved to Baldwin in 1952. I was off to Niagara where I met my wife Patti in 1956.She's from Queens Village.
Married in 1960 there. Retired from the Marine Corps in 1976 in Phoenix with two children son 17 and dau 16.
We're all still here with 5 grandchildren all chasing their dreams.
Bay Ridge holds a lot of fond memories and a great place to grow up.
You sound like Bay Ridge provided many great times also.
All the Best Regards,
Tom and Patti Lynch

denman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 10:58:33 AM »
I thought it was odd that you could not find Parrot Place when you lived only a few blocks away. :)
However, I never saw (or remember seeing) Jackson Court off 101 street, and I only lived a few blocks from there. It must not have been on my route, but I must have been to the park across the street a million times??. After I read your reply I looked it up on Google Maps and there it is?
I did love Bay Ridge, other than school and the paper route, I spent most of my life in Shore Road, playing handball, baseball, football, sleighriding, crabbing in the Narrows, and sneaking into Fort Hamilton Army Base. I saw the Verazzano Bridge go up. and the SI ferry ($.05 a ride) go under.
My best to you and your family,
Dennis

tomlynch

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 08:58:03 PM »
Wow!!! Jackson Ct That was the street I had a hard time finding.
Thanks, Dennis. That clears it up
Yes. Those were the days We did the same things except football We played a lot of roller hockey on Gelston and stickball.
I did work at Franco,s meat market on 73rd st and 3rd av during high school. I delivered meat all over Shore road .Ridge blvd;
Colonial Rd; Narrows Av. Remember the Bridge being built but The ferry was still running when we left.
Best Regards and Take Care of yourself and your Family.
Tom